Sunglasses are more than a fashion accessory. If you choose the right pair, they’ll also provide you with essential protection against exposure to UV rays. If you’re in the market for a new pair of sunglasses, here are six things to consider.
- Full UV protection – Look for lenses marked UV400 Protection. This designation means that the glasses will block 100% of the sun’s UV rays. If you’re unsure about the UV protection offered by a pair of sunglasses, you can bring them to an optician who will use an instrument called a spectrometer to check.
- Bigger is better – Larger frames and lenses protect a larger surface of your eyes and face from the sun. For maximum protection, opt for wraparound frames, which will stop UV rays from infiltrating into your eyes from the sides.
- Your regular activities – Certain types of activities require that you wear special frames or lenses. If you need them for sports, be sure to pick a pair that’s rugged enough to be bumped and that hugs your head and won’t fall off at the worse possible moment.
- Dark doesn’t equal more UV protection – Many people are surprised to find out that dark lenses without the proper sun protection may be even worse for eyes than wearing no sunglasses. This is because they make your pupils dilate, thereby letting in more UV rays. In fact, clear lenses with 100% UV protection provides more protection than dark lenses with no such coating.
- Polarization doesn’t equal more UV protection – Many people prefer to wear polarized lenses, which cut down on glare and are more comfortable in many situations. However, polarization isn’t the same as UV protection. Most polarized sunglasses do also offer the proper protection, but you should still check for the UV400 designation.
- Your prescription – If you rely on glasses to see, you still need to protect your eyes from the sun. There are many options for this, but most people prefer to use prescription sunglasses. Most prescriptions and many frames can be used to make a tailor-made pair of sunglasses that are perfectly suited to your needs.
Get prescription sunglasses in Calgary
Wearing prescription sunglasses makes spending time in the sun more enjoyable. If you’d like your own pair, visit Focus West Optometry. Our optometrists can perform a full eye exam and help you choose a pair of frames and lenses that will suit your needs. Contact us and book an appointment today.